Wednesday 24 July 2019

Am I showing my age???

Over the holidays, i was asked by one of my fabulous teachers to take a lesson on transformation, in particular enlarging a drawing using a grid.

'Really, on a digital platform?' was my first thought as I vividly remembered how I used to love making enlargements of pictures in my childhood. I remember getting the activity colouring book in my stocking as a child and using it as we traveled to our holiday destination.



So I set to making a slide show with tasks for the students and enjoyed reliving one of my passions but on a new platform. I personally thought it was quite fiddly using the polyline tool to draw the object, but with lots of concentration, I managed to complete the task and have to admit to enjoying the challenge.

I found the students reactions to the task so interesting. This was something so completely new and challenging to them and even the 'tricky' students were totally on task. They were so keen to share their efforts with their classmates and are looking forward to blogging about their learning at our next session.

That night I was sharing the days events with my family and I suddenly remembered the amazing 'Pantograph' that I had received as a gift. It brought back fond memories to both my husband and I, however while I knew the students would laugh at this device, I never expected their teachers to have no idea what I was talking about. It seems I really am showing my age, but in my day it was so cool to have one of these ... yet another extinct tool!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.